Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rustic Roasted Veggie Spaghetti


This spaghetti recipe came about because my mom bought artichokes and had no idea what they were. I've never actually cooked with them, but I've watched them be cooked on Food Network countless times, so I thought: No problem.

Let me just tell you....problem.

Artichokes are extremely hard to cook and are sure stubborn vegetables! No matter how long I cooked that artichoke, the leaves were tough, chewy and not edible at all. The only part that was edible (the artichoke heart) is TINY and I felt like I was wasting good vegetable.
 
Don't beat yourself up if you cant cook artichokes either...There is a reason why the word "choke" is in there: if you try to mess with it... (that was me trying to joke lol)
 
So I decided to give myself a break because I wasn't going to be able to cook the damn thing anyway, so I bought pickled artichokes in a very cute glass jar and used them in this spaghetti dinner.
Turned out delicious and very fulfilling! Especially since I didn't have to image myself banging my head against the counter top while cooking this time around with the artichokes!

This spaghetti dish is super yummy, filled with nutritious veggies and is perfect for any season or occasion!


Ingredients:

1/2 box of spaghetti
3 large pickled artichoke hearts (roughly chopped)
2 large carrots (peeled into strips with a potato peeler)
1 onion (diced)
1 parsnip (cubed)
1 cup of wine
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup of chopped green onions
1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbs of dried herbs (parley, oregano, basil, cilantro and thyme)
2 Tbs of tomato paste
1/2 Tbs of red pepper flakes
3 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Assembly:

1.) Bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil, and drop in spaghetti. Cook until al dente.
2.) Peel carrots with a potato peeler into medium sized strips. Set aside in a bowl.
3.) In a large pan, heat olive oil, add in diced onion and cook until golden brown. Add diced parsnip. Cook until fork tender, or brown.
4.)  Reduce heat and slowly add wine. Bring to simmer and allow most of the alcohol to cook off. Add in balsamic, apple cider vinegar and tomato paste. Allow sauce to simmer and reduce. Add in 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock, stir and remove from heat and add in chopped artichoke hearts into sauce.
5.) Incorporate spaghetti into the sauce. Add in the fresh and dried herbs, as well as salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
6.) Drizzle 1 Tbs of olive oil on top. May be served hot right away, served cold, or made in advance and served at a later time.




ENJOY

<3 Babushka




No comments:

Post a Comment