Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chocolate Pancakes

 
My mom and I had just finished eating dinner one night when she told me she was still hungry. This hardly ever happens...I turned to her and, in shock replied, "What do you want me to make you?"

I decided to make my mom chocolate pancakes as a post dinner snack lets call it. They took me less than 10 minutes to prepare, and I was all finished in under 20 minutes. I used the simplest ingredients: whatever I had in my fridge. Ultimately I could've made just plain old pancakes, but I saw the almost empty jar of Nutella in our cupboard, and I chose to add some hazelnut spice to my evening.
 
These pancakes are almost soft when you eat them, and the chocolate isn't overpowering at all; it gives the hint of chocolate to all the right taste buds.
If you're looking for a healthier chocolate option, follow my recipe! If you would like something sweeter, simply add either 1/2 cup of honey or granulated sugar to this recipe :)
 
Yields: around 6 pancakes
 
Ingredients:
1 cup of flour
1 egg
1 Tbs of olive oil
1/2 cup of Nutella
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
3 Tbs of vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup of milk (add more if the batter is not liquid-y enough)
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
 
Assembly:
 
1.) In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cocoa powder and salt.
2.) In a separate bowl, beat the egg and slowly drizzle in olive oil. Add yogurt, Nutella and milk. Whisk until all are combined.
3.) Slowly, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in thirds. Mix until you have reached a smooth consistency (you might have to add a little more milk if the batter is dry).
4.) Heat oil in a large frying pan. When you see the oil start to lightly smoke, ladle in batter into pancakes of desired size. Let them cook until little bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and until the edges appear brown. Flip the pancake and fry for another 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
 
Serve with maple syrup, honey, jam, preserves or yogurt. I made my moms with raspberry preserves, Greek yogurt, and topped them with fresh figs. You can add more Nutella, fruit or whatever you would like!
 

 
 
 
 
ENJOY
 
<3 Babushka
 


4 comments: